Wednesday, March 31, 2010

worldliness Wednesday

Once again, it is time for Miss Classy in Philly's Where in the World Wednesday! You know you love it :)




This week, I am in Krakow, Poland, where I seem to have left my heart a few years ago. If you are a new reader, I lived there for two years while studying and getting a Master's degree. It was all sorts of amazingness that I miss every day. Most of my photos are not scanned...yes, I had an old camera that used film! Gasp! There are a few that are online...

This photo was taken a few buildings over from where my school was. It was the summer of 2003 and it was the day that Poland had their referendum as to whether or not they wanted to join the EU (I think we all know they voted to join, right?) It was such an exciting day; there had been all sorts of campaigns and whatnot, for both sides, telling people why they should vote yes or no.

I got swept up into it, since I'd worked on a few campaigns prior to that, so it was exciting, even though I couldn't vote, obviously! As I said, one of the polling stations was right by my school, and one of the administrators knew how into it I was, so he took me over and explained to the pollers that I just wanted to see what was going on...so they let me come in, and walk around, just to see! They also gave me a pin that said "yes, I voted!" which is what I am pointing to in the photo :)



I realize the photo is a bit grainy...again, it is an anctual photo that was scanned, so not the best quality! Still though, it was an exciting day for Krakow, and all of Poland, for that matter!
Where are you this Wednesday???
PS. Be on the lookout for a giveaway coming up soon!

7 comments:

Meg @ write meg! said...

How fun, and I'm sure that was really exciting! I think that's an awesome photo and the graininess adds a little something to it. Awesome that they let you check out the polling place. I would love to see Krakow someday -- apparently we still have family there! :)

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Wow! What an adventure! I love film cameras-- though I am now a digital photographer.. I still print all my photographs--

Unknown said...

It sounds a prety amazing time in your life. I live in the UK and we have quite a lot of Polish living near to me at the moment. A Polish supermarket has opened up and it is amazing seeing all the different packets and jars. I would love to travel the world, maybe one day when I am free of family responsibilities, although I have been to the USA twice to visit family. I was based in Michigan and travelled about. Loved it.

Shoshanah said...

When I was in France in 2006 they were gearing up for a big vote. If I remember correctly, they were voting on approving an EU Constitution of some sorts. I wasn't there for the actual election, but all over the city there were Oui and Non posters. It was kind of fun, and it sounds like a similar experience to what you had.

CIP said...

You look so cute in that photo miss!

how i met your father blog said...

Poland... I've always wanted to go!! I love your "Where in the World" feature!! What a great idea... I just may have to steal it!

Cara said...

Hi - visiting you back from One Savvy Housewife! I also noticed that you were doing a giveaway of the same apron - it's so beautiful! I have a degree in small business/entrepreneurship and love to promote other's small businesses. I do sponsor a little girl in Rwanda through World Vision. We aren't able to contact her much or get many letters back due to the political situation over there, but it's such a joy to be able to bless her and her small family. Nice to "meet" you! I love to travel also, although the kids keep me home now days. Before I got married, I'd already traveled to about fifteen countries!