Monday, September 24, 2012

strawberry infused vodka- finished!


Remember a few weeks ago when I posted about making strawberry infused vodka??? Well, it is finished, and we finally tried it!
I saw it on the blog for Washington Green Grocer, a produce delivery service here in DC, and thought the idea was too good not to try.
I was at TJMaxx and saw this giant canning jar for just $5.99, and thought it was too good a deal not to buy. So buy I did, and then stopped at the liquor store around the corner from my house. I knew I had strawberries at home.
Since the jar was a bit larger than I had anticipated using, I didn't fill it all the way up. I used one container of strawberries, hulled and cleaned, which filled the jar about a third of the way.  When I poured in the vodka (Polish, of course!), it filled about halfway up. Then I closed up the lid, made sure it was sealed tight, and tucked the jar away for safe-keeping!






The jar snoozed in our liquor cabinet (which is under this table!) for three weeks before we cracked it open. I will admit, that I never peeked at it at all during that time- apparently we drank wine those weeks  ;)  The blog post indicates that you should shake the jar a few times a week. Ooops, forgot about that! Oh well!
As you can see, the strawberries lost their color, and we had pink vodka!




(I think I need a nicer looking pitcher...)




As suggested, we drank it with lemonade, and it was delicious! We really enjoyed it. 





This was such a simple thing to do, with great results. Vodka is such an easy thing to infuse, and we are debating what to try next! I'm thinking seasonal, so perhaps cranberries and limes?  What sort of vodka would you like to infuse? What do you think we should try next??


3 comments:

how i met your father blog said...

that is so so neat! i am so surprised the strawberries lost their color!

Shoshanah said...

There was one year my parents made limoncello to give out as holiday gifts. I remember having jars of it all over the house for a month or too, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was just lemon infused vodka.

UKMUMINUSA said...

You could make your own vanilla extract or make vanilla vodka. I made the extract, and will never have to buy any again, check out my blog to see.