Wednesday, September 9, 2009

horsing around

The equestrian look has been going around for quite some time now and I am just now getting into it a bit. It's funny to me, because I rode for years. I began riding when I was nine and rode and competed all through high school and college. With the exception of one lesson last summer, with my mother, who now rides, I haven't been on a horse in at least six years. It's sad to me, because it was such a big part of my life and I loved it. I'd love to ride again, but stables in DC are expensive and harder to get to, since I don't have a car and it is unlikely that the metro runs out to wherever they are! Maybe I should look into it though....

Over the weekend, we stayed at a lovely B&B called Merritt Hill Manor in Penn Yan, NY. If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend it. It was gorgeous. I didn't take any photos of the inside, but several from outside (and the view!) that I will post later. We stayed in room 3, the Matthew Joseph room. It's hard to tell from this photo, but the room (and the bathroom!) had the equestrian look going on, and I loved it.


You can't see from the photo, but to the right of that chair in the corner are two windows facing east where we saw the most amazing sunrise. The photo also doesn't allow you to see the details, but this room reminded me of my love for all things equestrian.

Then I found this blog post that detailed a lot of looks that I like (like the leather trunks!). It is so classic and pulled-together looking. Right now, my tiny apartment doesn't allow for much of it, but maybe someday? Also, look at these cute pieces. I should check out some antique shops...I'm sure I could find something similar!

Since I rode for so long, I already have most of the clothing, though I admit, I wouldn't wear much of it outside the barn :) I do have the tall leather boots though. Maybe I should have them cleaned and polished and could wear them with a pair of skinny jeans? Would that be too much?

What about you? What do you think of the equestrian look? Is it something you'd try?

7 comments:

Blair @ Reasonably Swanky said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I look forward to keeping up with you as well!
Take care,

Blair
boopiegiles.blogspot.com

Rachel H. said...

Beautiful B&B!! I hope I'm never in the NY area, but if I am, I'll remember your recommendation! :)

Katelin said...

i don't think i'd try it but that room is super cute.

The Pink Chick said...

I am not a huge fan of equestrian wear (outside of the barn), but I do love the boots!

magda said...

Go for the boots! My sister wore riding-style boots with skinny jeans last time she visited, and it was SUCH a cute look. I was--and still am--envious, just not willing to spend what the fashion-not-function boot people want for them. If you have them already? Totally do it!

Carmen said...

I didn't know you rode! My BFF from Chile competed in equestrianism.

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Oh I love it!!!