Tuesday, January 6, 2009

busy schedule? fine with me!

I've come to the conclusion that I am happier and more productive when I have a full schedule. Like anyone else, I like my downtime, but too much of it, and I become a lazy blob.

Example. My senior year of college, I was taking six classes (18 credits), was on the equestrian team, babysat twice a week for six hours each day, worked part-time at Bath and Body Works, volunteered on a campaign that fall, was chair of one club on campus and Executive Director of the state chapter of that club and something else that is escaping me. My day planner was a million different colors and I liked it that way. I felt like I accomplished a great deal each day and had a great time doing it.

When I moved to DC, I worked full-time and that was about it (at first, anyway). Two years later, I began the second Master's, at GWU, so I had classes at night and often meetings with people for projects and such. It was a good thing. The thing is, for as much as I complained about how tired I was, and how much work I had to do, I really enjoyed my classes and liked being in school (nerd alert). Now I am missing that. I liked that element of my life; going to class, meeting new people and sharing ideas. I felt so inspired by some of the people I met and hearing about the amazing things that they've done. Now? Not so much. I'm missing that interaction, wishing I was still there. In my heart, I am contemplating what Master's to get next (ha!), though my head knows that a third Master's and another $30K in loans isn't the best way to go.

Trying to find inspiration and passion isn't easy; it is something I feel as though I've struggled with for a long time. There are things I love and things I want to do, but I feel like I lack the ability to get there. Some days, I am not sure how to get there, what steps I need to take. I've begun to do some volunteering in the city. I found the Washington Literacy Council and once a month, have gone to a local elementary school to read with students. I also went to an info session for Greater DC Cares, which has all sorts of different volunteer opportunities, from working in soup kitchens, to reading with students, to working at a horse barn (which I am totally going to do, by the way!) I've also found a pottery studio where you can take classes, so I am thinking about maybe trying that as well.

What do you do to stay busy?

No comments: