Tuesday, October 25, 2011

charity quilting!

Remember this post, from several months ago, showing this (then) recently finished quilt? Well, this little birdie quilt is finally on its way to its new home!


The DC Modern Quilt Guild recently had a project called 100 Quilts for Kids, which was begun by Katie, who is a really wonderful quilter.





The idea was for us to have a quiltalong, and then the baby quilts would be donated to a local organization that was in need. Katie organized it so that quilters all over the country were participating, and then donating to local orgs in their area! Everyone benefits!


I started a few quilts, but had a few hiccups, and didn't finish them in time, so I decided to donate the birdie quilt. After all, it wasn't doing anyone any good by sitting in my sewing room! I do plan to finish what I've started and donate them too! Ours are going to a local org in DC that works with low-income mothers.


Meanwhile, a few of us met at the Lincoln Memorial recently for some hand sewing lessons, and to drop off the quilts we had ready. Being there was so fun- it was a gorgeous day and the monument was filled with tourists who stopped by to see what we were doing, taking photos with us and asking if what we were making was for sale!












Dana made a DC metromap quilt! How cool is that?




I was supposed to write about this and link up to Katie's posts about this earlier, but better late than never, right? :) I'm so glad that I was able to participate, and as I slowly gain more confidence with my quilting, I do want to do more charity quilting. I'm still not at the point where I feel I am ready to make a full-sized quilt, so baby quilts are good for me for now, and there is no shortage of places to donate to. I have a few places in mind already!


I do have a few other projects that I am working on now, so expect photos of those soon as well!


Have you been crafty at all lately?

1 comment:

Shoshanah said...

This looks like it must have been such a fun experience! And that DC metro one is so clever. I would imagine there would be quite a market for something like that, especially if one made them for various cities.