Monday, November 16, 2009

in my life, I've loved them all

I've been listening to a lot of music by the Beatles lately. Maybe I've been feeling nostalgic, but the song "In My Life" always seems to make me a bit misty-eyed. It's a lovely song, wouldn't you say?

There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more

Apparently it is a very popular wedding song, for the bride and groom's first dance. I can see that, as the song really is lovely, especially "there is no one compares with you" and "these memories lose their meaning." At the same time though, the song repeats that one will never lose affection for people before...and frankly, at my wedding, I don't think I'd want a song sung about past lovers! I'd rather my husband forget all those before me, and he certainly doesn't need to have any affection for them :)

What do you think of the song? Would you use it? Am I being silly?

Probably :)

4 comments:

Rachel H. said...

I wouldn't use it, and I actually have never heard it used at a wedding before! It's a good song, but I don't think I would want to use it at my wedding. Good thing it's already over! :)

Anonymous said...

i agree. it's one of my all-time favorite beatles tunes but i just don't see it as a wedding song. but people use all kinds of songs these days... songs with lyrics about breakups, whatever. not everyone seems to listen to the lyrics.

Black Labs and Lilly said...

I think it is a beautiful song, but I wouldn't use it for my wedding!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

The hubs had one picked out for us that talked about past loves. I vetoed it. Ah ha