Monday, June 7, 2010

look at my long arm!


This weekend, I went to a big quilt show in Virginia. It was great! I had planned to go with some girls from my quilting group, but they all planned to go Saturday and I couldn't, so Steve offered to take me on Sunday (I probably owe him big for that, right?)
There were classes, demos, quilts on display and lots of vendors! I was a good girl, and managed to control my wallet, just buying a few things. I also had the chance to try out a long-arm quilting machine! These are crazy-big sewing machines, usually at least ten feet long, and they are used when doing the actual quilting! They are also very expensive, usually about $15,000!
Yes, seriously!
(I don't have one)
When I passed by this booth, the salesguy asked if I wanted to try it. I first asked him if there was a you-break-it, you-buy-it policy, because I definitely couldn't buy it! He laughed and said no, so here I am, long arming!

Ignore the flash, just above my hands...
It is such a cool machine! He had multi-colored thread loaded, so you could see it really well, and I made all sorts of loops and swirls, and I loved it.
Of course, now I want one.
He did say that there was a show special, and this machine is only $9,500.
Anyone have $9,500 I can borrow? I'll send you the first quilt I make!
PS. the quilts in the background were not made by me! I am not that talented yet!

6 comments:

midnight macaroons said...

Are those lovely quilts in the background? Lexi, you make the most stunning quilts.

Unknown said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun! I want to get an embroidery machine, but I think I need a crafts room first!

Mrs Anne said...

Those machines are to die for! A friend of mine's mother just bought one and she makes the neatest quilts! :)

Mandy said...

Better start playing the lottery Lexie! Wowza that's a load of dough for that machine. I'm so glad you got to test drive the ferari of quilting machines though. :-)

Kathleen said...

Isn't is just so much fun?! It's addictive too.

Shoshanah said...

My boyfriend's mom has one of those machines! It's crazy big and practically take up the whole room its in.