Friday, August 6, 2010

teach this

If you are a long-time reader, you'll know that I've struggled with the idea of teaching for quite some time now (there are several posts about it, but I won't link each one!) That post was more than a year ago, and it still feels like completely fresh thoughts that I could have had yesterday.

Today I came across a posting for a teacher's aide position at a nearby Catholic school and was intrigued. For the most part, you don't need to be certified at private schools, though they like experience. Clearly I don't have that, but perhaps, if I were an aide for a year, I'd find out if I like teaching enough to pursue it and could then get certified and go from there.

I'm now wondering though, because I am not sure if aide positions are hourly/no benefits or if they are salaried. It likely depends on the school. I'm sure many realize that Catholic schools aren't exactly the most high-paying places out there, which isn't a major issue, but still a concern. I'm far from wealthy and have a Bachelor and two Master's worth of loans to pay off!

Anyone who is a teacher and/or works in a school, please share your experiences...maybe someday I will make up my mind about this....

5 comments:

KatiePerk said...

I say apply and discuss with them. A lot of schools have different policies and payscales.

VA Gal said...

I'm not a teacher, but I've been both a teacher's aide and preschool teacher at a private school. My jobs were part-time and only paid hourly. However, if you apply for the opening and they're interested in you, it would definitely be worth discussing.

Carolyn said...

I've been a one to one the last 3.5 years, full time. I was paid hourly, at an okay rate, and had pretty decent health insurance, crappy dental.

I have recently been hired as a classroom assistant, full time; again paid hourly, though more than the previous position. I will also have health/dental insurance.

It's definitely a way to get your foot in the door and figure out if you like it. A lot of assistant's/aide's take on the teaching role at times.

I think you should apply and talk about it with them. Good luck!

Kyla Roma said...

Hm, I can't help you with this, but I would say if you're at all interested you should apply & discuss it with them later! :)

Anonymous said...

Apply and discuss later! xxo rmbm