Monday, March 1, 2010

making a statement

I'll admit; I'm not the biggest fashion queen out there. The wardrobe consists of a good deal of Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, J Crew, Old Navy, etc. I love and adore Anthropologie, but most days, I can't afford to shop outside of their clearance rack, and some days, even that is out of my budget! Still though, I've been thinking a lot about this lately, because I feel like I don't have a style. Some are preppy, some are trendy, some are bohemian, etc. I'm not too sure which category I fall into, and this, of course, may be a good thing, but I'd still like to feel like I have some sort of style, because most days, I feel like I fail!

I've seen many people who plan out their outfits for the week, and I've tried that, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. Most days, I plan it in my head while in the shower, but inevitably, change my mind at least twice before leaving my closet!

I saw this article, which I found very interesting. In it, the interviewee, who works for Lilly Pulitzer, discusses how she is drawn to pieces that are bold and make a statement. In high school, I had a friend who had a pair of bright orange shoes that she wore often (this was especially daring, considering the uniform we wore- orange and black watch plaid is risky!). My father remembers her for these shoes, and still asks about her today, even though I haven't seen her in ten years! I wouldn't say that I am often drawn to pieces like that, but I like how she talks about pairing one eye-catching piece with toned-down others in order not to overwhelm others. Lately I've purchased a few chunky beaded necklaces (from etsy, of course!), so I think I am going to try this approach. I'd like to feel like I look put together, especially at work, and I rarely feel this way. I see others in the hallways or the cafeteria and think how great their outfit looks, and think how I could do that, yet somehow, I can't get it to work for me :)

How would you describe your wardrobe and style? How would you change it, if you could?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my wardrobe would either have to be defined as "plain" or "blah". it's that boring. i wear dresses or jeans with a top. that's pretty much it. i suck at accessorizing but i SO want to be good at it (i have an entire post in drafts about this : )
i feel your pain... i have no defined style either but overall i think we clean up well : )

midnight macaroons said...

I often felt like you described regarding my wardrobe in my twenties. I'm sure you would have laughed if you had seen some of the outfits I purchased. I was a fashion mess. I had no clue what style was so I made a lot of fashion faux mistakes.

After a trip to Paris I wanted to dress like the French women I observed. I started buying books on French fashion and learned much. Now when I go shopping I know exactly what to buy and stay away from. One rule I learned is to start off with your basics and build by accessories.

An example, I wore a black turtle neck, black slacks, black pumps, and wore a fantastic ivory and black coat yesterday to the ballet. I pulled my hair back with a black leather headband and wore big pearl earrings. I received a ton of compliments from men and women on my outift. I was also able to get ready less than 30 minutes. I would have never been able to pull that off 5 years ago.

I liked the story of your friend's orange shoes.

Anonymous said...

Hm, back in the day I had a pair of pink chunky heel penny loafers with green, yellow, blue, and purple swirls on it. Kind of like a multicolored gumball. My dad called them my Elton John shoes.

I think my style is much more classic than it was back in the day. I wear a lot of Express jeans, skinny or boot cut jeans with a plain v-neck shirt, cardigans, for work I wear Express slacks, no name brand stuff, ruffle cardigans, plain v-neck shirts, ballet flats, solid colored turtlenecks, really simple and boring. I always wear pearls or diamond earrings to "accessorize". I feel like I look boring!

Meg @ write meg! said...

I'm just starting to come into my own, fashion-wise! I struggle greatly with my casual, non-work wardrobe... mostly because I'm dressed up about 75 percent of the time for work.

I'm a big believer in wearing one bold "conversation" piece... in my case, it's usually a fun necklace or big earrings. I've started wearing skirts and dresses a few times a week with leggings and boots, while it's still cold, and absolutely love the way I feel in them! I always felt awkward in dresses but am seeing how fun and fashionable they can be.

I'm getting really into random accessories, too, like fun bow headbands and colorful brooches! I typically wear solid, non-print clothing -- like a gray pencil skirt, black top, black tights and black heels -- and then pop it with a bright red belt or red sweater. I've been getting far more compliments than usual lately and am loving it. :)

You'll find your style! Just keep trying and experimenting!! :)

Screen Door Prep said...

Me, too. Me, too. & me, too. Seriously.

I gravitate toward classic, preppy styles, but for the longest, I couldn't break out of black, gray, & navy pieces. I am also drawn to bold eye-catching fabrics&patterns, but I am tiny, & I don't like to overwhelm my frame with them. The older I get, the better I get at accenting one bold piece, or knowing what works for my frame.

I have loyalty to certain designers&shops, but I am not sure you'd walk into my closet & declare one "style." I have bohemian, classic, dressy, feminine, preppy. It's all me!