Tuesday, March 24, 2009

moving right along

So last night I left my office at 5:15, as usual. I had to go to the MLK Library at Chinatown to return a few books and get a few more. So from there, I redlined to Union Station and took the bus home from there. When I walked up to my building, I saw two police cars to the left of the building with the lights flashing. I didn't think too much of it. I walked up to the front door of the building and saw a police officer standing there, on his walkie talkie. I would have asked him what was happening, but he was walkieing. So, inside I went. I checked my mail, went upstairs, took off my coat, etc. I turned on my laptop and once I checked my email, I found the following message from the DC Alert System-

Police Alert-ROBBERY HOLD UP GUN____ BLOCK OF ____ ST NE. LOF B/M SKI MASK BLACK JACKET SHORT HAIR CUT DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #i2009146061Sent by DC Police Alert to e-mail, pagers, cell phones....powered by Cooper Notification RSAN


There was an armed robbery on my block!!! I live on Capitol Hill!!! Yes, I know this can happen anywhere, I am not so naive to think that anywhere is immune, but really? In the nearly five years I've been in DC and almost four in this apartment, I have never, ever had a problem or seen something happen.

Maybe it's time to move?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! I'm just glad that wasn't you! I mean you have been toying with the idea of moving anyway, due to space issues...

Jackie said...

We had some (actually a lot) of robberies in our neighborhood the past couple months, and it makes me want to move too. It seems that there is an increase in crime everywhere though! Crazy.

La Petite Chic said...

Yikes, how scary!! It's true though, it seems to happen everywhere, even the suburbs.

rachaelgking said...

I'm glad your okay!

That said, I guess I kind of just feel like it comes with the territory... I don't think moving would help. I think the best thing to do is avoid walking alone, esp at night, keep some pepper spray handy, and be aware of your surroundings. It sucks, but it's the price we pay for living in our fair city :-)