Tuesday, March 3, 2009

on ways I love my library

So as I mentioned in my previous post, I had a bit of an overdue fine at my library. You know me, I love libraries...I just don't always remember to return the books in time! In this case, it was two books that had slid under my bed and remained there for several months before I realized it. Oooops.

I stopped at the Southeast branch on my way home from work today (love Eastern Market!) and had planned to pay part of it. I knew the fine was a bit, um, high, but I wasn't sure what it was exactly. I had some cash, could have used my debit card, didn't have my checkbook with me (does anyone still write many checks these days?). Turns out, my fine was $70. Ooops. I had $35 in cash, they didn't take debits. The librarian looked at my record and told me she'd waive the rest of the fine! Woo hoo!

New self-imposed rule: Lexi, until you are a good library patron again, you may borrow no more then three books at once.

6 comments:

La Petite Chic said...

Wow! That's DC cost of living for you :) That's so nice that she waived the remainder of the fee though.

Jackie said...

What a nice librarian! I always write the due date in my planner so that I don't forget to return the books.

I stopped by the Shaw library on my way home from work today, but they didn't have the book club book. Hopefully I can find it at the MLK branch!

Maxie said...

We have Fine Free Fridays here! I've had books for literally a year, but as long as I take them back on a Friday I'm good to go!

Unknown said...

I really like the fact that I don't have to pay my fines until I go back to the library and want to get more books. As long as I don't go back to the library, I don't have to pay the fine.

Anonymous said...

Karma owed you a favor. Definitely.

I like Jackie's idea of writing the due-dates in your calendar; also, if you aren't finished/can't make it, you can renew DC books online. I've done that A LOT, usually when I check out more books than I can conceivably read before the two weeks or whatever is up.

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

I have fines that are so bad I am actually afraid to go in...like I might set off some sort of alarm. This could finally be the impetuous I needed to change my name.