Wednesday, March 18, 2009

how's that for inspiration?

So I recently came across someone really fabulous. A little girl in Ohio named Hannah. A few years ago, Hannah and her mother were serving food at a soup kitchen in Toledo and she saw a man whose shoes had split and wasn't wearing socks. She wanted to give him her own socks. Soon after, she began collecting socks to hand out in homeless shelters.

So far this year, Hannah's group called Hannah's Socks has collected 24,642 pairs of socks with a goal to collect 60,000.

Did I mention that she is nine years old?

I know that I talk about things I'd like to do, but I am the first to admit that I have awful follow through when it comes to my ideas. With the exception of World Vision, I haven't done a very good job of sticking to something. I've found all sorts of organizations that I admire, places I'd like to volunteer, etc. I'm just finding it refreshing that this little girl is actually doing something, unlike me, who just talks about it. There was an article in People magazine recently, which is actually where I learned about Hannah. She also has a facebook page.

I know that everyone talks so much about how awful the economy is right now, and I can't say that I don't complain as well, but I think that it's good to remember that there are people out there who are worse off then I am. I have a drawer full of socks, most of which I never wear. I decided to donate $10 a month for the next 12 months to Hannah's Socks. Perhaps also, when I go into Target, I will pick up a few packages of socks to be mailed to Cincinnati.

Really, it's the least I can do.

2 comments:

Maris said...

It's really nice to hear a story about goodhearted people! There is so much bad news these days that stories like these are fewer and far between.

Thanks for sharing - and big kudos to Hannah!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful and life-affirming story on a day when there is so much news of corporate greed. Hooray for Hannah!