Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ugh

I am SO not wanting to be back at work today. How about you? I really think that there should be a three-day weekend once a month. Now, I know that many a DC gov't folk (and elsewhere) do the compressed schedule, and work four ten-hour days, but ten hours? Seriously? Is that worth having every Friday off? I think I'd rather do my normal 8-9 hours, depending on the day and have a three day weekend once a month. Thoughts?

Do you watch the show Jon and Kate, Plus 8? If you don't, you should! This PA couple has eight children- a set of twins and sextuplets. They are adorable, seriously. Anyway. My point is this. I was watching an episode last night and the parents were doing a teeth bleaching treatment at their dentist, and they were upset because after its done, they couldn't drink coffee (or anything that would stain the teeth) for 48 hours and they were not sure how they'd get through 48 hours without coffee.

Could you get through 48 hours without coffee? I would be fine. Sure, sometimes I have a cup of coffee in the morning, but not every morning. I don't own a coffee maker. Wait, I'm lying. I have one, but it is in a cabinet and I've never used it. It was given to me by a friend who got a new one once she was married and had registered for a better one (gee, thanks!). Occasionally I will stop at Dunkins for a coffee on my way to my office, or sometimes have a cup once I get here, but I am one of those people who adds more cream and sugar then actual coffee. Lately I have been obsessed with those Odwalla drinks anyway. Still though, I know there are several in my office who have many cups of coffee each day. So, I wonder about you, oh lovely readers.

How was your long weekend? Did you do anything fun?

Steve and I watched 27 Dresses and Untraceable. Have you seen either? I liked both, but I did cover my eyes a few times during the touture scenes of Untraceable. We also went to Georgetown and had wings at Rhino yesterday. I also managed to pull the brilliant move of buying two conditioners, but no shampoo, at Lush.

Oh! I also bought this cookbook for a bridal shower gift for a friend. Her shower is this weekend, but I can't go, as I'll be at a wedding in Iowa. If you are in DC and have not been to Cake Love, you are seriously missing out! It's amazing! Want to go? Cupcake date!

I am still thinking about the puppy I mentioned the other day. I emailed the shelter and he was taken by a Corgi rescue league in Maryland, so I emailed them to ask about adoption. I have a feeling they'd want him living with a family with a backyard, not little old me in my Capitol Hill efficiency, but seriously, nobody would love him more then I would....

15 comments:

Jess said...

I have CWW at my office and it means I work nine-hour days instead of eight-hour days. And it is GREAT. It adds up to an extra three weeks of vacation a year, and that is so worth it.

Also, I just watched Jon and Kate + 8 for the first time this weekend! Just watching it made me feel really stressed, but I couldn't look away.

Pretty Unfamous said...

Uhg. I have no idea how John and Kate can stay together. They fight ALL. THE. TIME.

I don't think I'd mind working 10-hour shifts, if I got three days off every weekend.

Dolce said...

If you want a little Cogri, go for it! I had a beg the beagle rescue to give me Stella; they were not happy about not having a fenced in backyard. I persuaded them to give her to me anyway, promising lots of walks. It worked!!! And believe me, my dog would never have a better home.

Lauren said...

I hear in Europe they're required to have AT LEAST 30 days off a year, not counting holidays/weekends/etc. I want to live there. So, yeah, we definitely need more three day weekends. The only downside of them is going back to work on Tuesday. Ugghh!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found you from your guestpost on Heidi's blog this weekend - hope you don't mind!

I agree about three day weekends...once a month is not much to ask! Though I took today off so it this week will rock for me. But I'm going to be away on a business trip most of next week anyway so it all balances out.

I <3 Jon & Kate. On mother's day I TiVo'd a marathon - it was insane! I'm hooked though!

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

I saw a whole lot of movies this weekend - thats how bored I am in San Francisco - 3 more weeks!

yeah that John and Kate show is cute -- the kids are adorable.

When I am in DC I work the alternate schedule, I have every other Friday off - love it

Katelin said...

i have only seen a few episodes of john and kate plus eight and i freaking love it. their kids are the cutest ever.

Jackie said...

I have seen Jon and Kate a few times and every time I watch it my anxiety level soars through the roof. I can't imagine having that many kids.

I had my bridal tea this weekend and it reminded me of you because of your blog title! I got a super awesome Vera Bradley tea pot and tea cups....Now I can host my own tea someday :)

L Sass said...

I am fascinated by Jon and Kate + 8, but I get really nervous about Maddie's emotional problems. That child has problems!

Anonymous said...

The only good thing about coming to work after a long weekend is that the weekend comes faster. I'm so excited that it's Thursday already!

Ten hours a day, though? Not worth it. It's usually all I can do to make it till 5. I could come in earlier, I suppose, but I don't know how valuable I'd be to the company first thing in the a.m. And how that would SUCK in the winter!

I first saw Jon & Kate + 8 in the gym, when I was distracting myself from the treadmill, and I totally love it. So! Cute! But I really hope I don't have that many children...

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog - I enjoyed your comments!

1) It's nice (?) to know I'm not the only one with the 90210 problem.
2) We have the same grocery store habits --- I often find myself lost on the laundry detergent isle b/c it smells good
3) I saw your post over at LifeInPink, and am going to use the format for a post.
4) I believe we should work 2 days and have a 5 day break per week ;)

Janssen said...

My husband says he'd totally work 4 days of 10 hours each in exchange for three day weekends every week. Me? i'm not sure what I'd choose. Tough!

Jen said...

I love Jon and Kate plus 8. Until now, I was the only person I know of that watches it!

Midwest said...

I love Jon and Kate Plus 8. It makes my life seem so reasonable. And if I went 48 hours without coffee, I would get a wicked headache. I am totally addicted - a fact that I have no problem with.