Thursday, October 22, 2009

do you praxis?

Have you taken the praxis? I know some of you are teachers, and I'd like to hear more about the praxis, if you can offer any advice.

I just signed up to attend an info session for the PG County Teaching Fellows program and am reading the requirements. If I am reading it correctly, I may not have to take the first part of the praxis, because my SAT scores are high enough that I can opt out (ha, funny, since they weren't even that high, from how it appeared then!) (maybe that was because I had friends who scored a 1510 and a 1490...). Also, I have two Master's, and they may allow me to not have to do the GRE, which was the case before.

I'm not sure about the details, hence the reason to go to the info session. Still though...as I've said, teaching has always been in the back of my mind, so I am excited about learning more about this opportunity.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

I had to take the Praxis II, which is content specific...so the stuff I was tested on wouldn't be the same for you, but in terms of the test in general it is just a traditional standardized multiple choice test. I'm sure you would do fine if you picked up a Praxis study book in whatever area you want to teach. BTW, what do you want to teach?

Jennifer said...

I am curious about what you're doing. I have a bachelor's in communications and a master's in management, and decided I want to be a teacher. SO the university put me in certification classes. I'll have to take the Praxis eventually, but it sounds like a lot of people are just taking their Praxis and getting their masters degrees? I'm confused because I'm worried what I'm taking classes that I don't need to be taking. Apparently, I can only take 4 certification classes that will count towards a masters degree.

Sorry for the book. Just curious.

Rachel H. said...

I haven't taken it, but I'm curious...do you have an education degree? Or are you looking to be a teacher? I'm with Jennifer, and I'm looking to be a teacher too. Anyways, would love to hear more!

Heidi said...

i just took the praxis recently, I was 20 points shy of not having to take it but it wasn't difficult. You can take one test at a time, or all three at once - they have paper tests every other month or so (the next one is Nov. 14th) or you can take the computerized version 6 days/week downtown at a testing center - if you take all three tests at once, just realize it's LONG I was there for about five hours (the test was 4 1/2) but it was so better to get it out of the way. I'm still waiting on my writing scores but got my math and reading scores right away which was pretty nice :)

Definitely pick up a couple praxis study books (i can recommend some to you) it's pretty basic overall, and there aren't any trick questions.

Like The Northerner said, eventually you'll have to take praxis II - it's more content specific, I'll likely be taking that early next fall, the program I'm trying to get into require the praxis II before you can student teach. The nice thing about the study books that you get for praxis I, generally they'll have study guides/practice tests for the praxis II also.

Let me know how the program is :) I'm eager to hear about it!!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

let us know how it goes!